Get Promising Keywords for Use as Domain Names
- Go to Google’s Adwords Keyword Planner at https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner.
- In the ‘Word or Phrase’ box list all of the keywords that you think you’d like to be ranked by.
- Check the checkbox beside “Only show ideas closely related to my search terms”
- Type the required characters into the CAPTCHA field then click the Search button.
- Click the Local Monthly Searches header to sort by that column. Local in this case means the country you are in. Global means worldwide.
- Note the data in the Competition and Local Monthly Searches columns. You want a domain name with low competition and a high number of searches.
- Check the keywords you may be interested in then click the Download (Selected) button to get those keywords.
- Lastly create 2 sets of names to test for availability. Copy the keywords into a list twice. In one list replace all spaces with hyphens (-) and in the other simply remove all spaces. That will give you lists that look something like this:
This screenshot shows what you’ll typically see.
Test for Domain Name Availability
Godaddy has a great tool you can use to check the availability of these domain names – http://www.godaddy.com and http://www.domaintools.com. At Godaddy click the Express Buy link just below the Search button as shown here:
Paste the list of domains into the box then check the .com, .net and .org checkboxes. The others aren’t as reputable as you want for a business domain name.
Click the Search button to see what domains are available.
If you want to buy the domains then click the remove links for the domains you don’t want and click the Proceed to Checkout button.
This process ensures you’ll buy a domain that is ready for top search engine rankings. Now you need a professional website optimized for the search engines and search engine optimization. There are several posts and pages on this site that can assist you in these efforts.